It’s almost time to head back to the classroom. There are so many things to do before school starts and the children burst in through the main gate, so where do you even begin?
We can help you get prepared. With our back to school checklist, you’ll know exactly what needs to be done before the first day. Take a look at our lists below or download our prepared checklist to tick each off as you go.
Things to buy before school starts
There are few things more satisfying in a teacher’s life than stocking up your desk with a fresh batch of stationery, or proudly sporting a new backpack or briefcase for all the day’s essentials. Get these on your shopping list so you’re never short of the things you need every day.
- Pencil sharpener
- Post-it notes
- Folders and binders
- Backpack or briefcase
- Refillable Drinks bottle
- Lunch box
- Ingredients for first week’s lunches
- Name tags
Things to do in the classroom
There are lots to be getting on with in the classroom. Be proactive and get organised so you can have everything exactly as it needs to be for the first day back.
- Plan activities for the first day
- Think of some fun icebreakers for new children
- Create a new seating plan
- Plan out your vision of the classroom display
- Introduce yourself to new staff, from cleaners to site management
- Label all classroom equipment, workbooks and supplies
- Organise your desk
- Make a handwashing station
- Review the year’s course syllabus
- Catchup with any new school procedures
Other things to do before the first day back
With supplies bought and the classroom ready, it’s time to give yourself a bit of me-time. Your list of personal things to do before school starts covers your career, wellbeing and health.
- Outline your goals for the year
- Organise your filing system
- Work out how you’ll manage your work/life balance
- Find new recipes for quick easy lunches
- Plan out your personal routine
- Head online for new teaching ideas and strategies
- Buy a book for lunchtime downtime
- The night before – get a good night’s sleep!